Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Storm


"Then the sea arose because a great wind was blowing.  When they had rowed about three or four miles, they saw Jesus walking on the sea and drawing near the boat; and they were afraid.  But He said to them, 'It is I; do not be afraid.'"
-John 6:18-20


Treading on the tempest
Eschewing the safety of shore
Surefooted strides
 Summoning the sea's submission...
Before she cries,
He comes

Embattled and beaten
she wages a fool's war
combatting the convulsions of the deep
wielding weakness against the wind and the waves
she pleads for Him to come...

Her entreaty sails over the surface of the squall
And falls on Heaven's ears
He traverses this terrain as terra firma
Supplanting the storm
Demanding deference,

"Peace!  Be Still!"

His arrival arrests the violence about her
His voice silences the vehement gale
The breakers bow at His behest
and all is rest
all is rest

"Peace, be still..."

With the sea her heart surrenders.
bending to His will
The storm inside finally subsides

and all is rest

all is rest.


-E.A.A. "Hindsfeet" 3/22/10


"It shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are still speaking, I will hear."
-Isaiah 65:24 



8 comments:

Dan said...

Wow....just WoW.

Linda said...

I love this and it reminds me of another passage that always intrigued me -
Matthew 8:24-25, "Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. And they came to Him and woke Him, saying, "Save us, Lord; we are perishing!"
I always found this interesting because how I've often felt if I could simply see God in the flesh right here with me, how certainly I would never doubt. And yet, here with the disciples in the SAME boat, in the flesh, was Jesus - God in the flesh with them, and yet they were still afraid at that moment of the storm.

Hindsfeet said...

thanks, D...

Hindsfeet said...

Wow, Linda...I never thought of it that way, but you're absolutely right.......Boy, human nature hasn't changed much, eh? : ) ...thanks for this perspective...such a good reminder...

Courtney at SL's No Ennui said...

Ah, that speaks so much to me of the Jesus portrayed in John's gospel! Beautiful, HIndsfeet! I'm printing this one.

Andy Nix said...

so beautiful as always!

Hindsfeet said...

OH GOOD, Courtney!! Finally! I'm in Print!!!

; )

Hindsfeet said...

Thanks, Andy...Means a-lot coming from a genius visionary like you.